The recipe suggested that these cupcakes are best un frosted so I just dusted them with icing sugar. However I think they would go really well with Caramel Ginger Frosting, next time I make them I will definitely use this frosting so I am going to give you the recipe for that too.
Gingerbread Cupcake Recipe - Makes 12 Cupcakes
Taken from Cupcakes, Cupcakes & more Cupcakes by Lilach German
2 1/2 cups Plain Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tbsp Ground Ginger
1/4 tbsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tbsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Butter
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Golden Syrup
1/2 cup Whole Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 160C. Line one cupcake pan with your chosen cupcake papers.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda.
3. Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, beating on a medium speed.
4. Add golden syrup and mix until a light and airy butter is achieved.
5. Reduce mixing speed to low, add eggs one at a time, mixing well.
6. Add small amounts of the dry ingredients (prepared in Step 2), alternating with small amounts of the milk until the mixture is completely integrated and smooth.
7. Fill the cupcake papers two-thirds full.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cupcakes are springy to the touch ans a toothpick inserted in cupcake's centre comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Caramel Ginger Frosting
Recipe from Divine Cupcakes by Tamara Jane
200g Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Ground Ginger
500g Icing Sugar
Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the brown sugar and stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mix to the boil, reduce heat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cream and ginger.
Cool to lukewarm temperature. Gradually stir in the icing sugar and cool the mixture completely. Beat until the frosting is light and creamy. If the frosting is too stiff, add a little more cream.
I cannot describe how delicious this frosting is, it is definitely in my top 5. If you are looking for a new cupcake book I highly recommend Divine Cupcakes, it is full of fantastic recipes and is packed full of gorgeous photographs Making it an absolute pleasure to browse through.◦