French Toast Cupcakes
Recipe from - Eat Me!: The Stupendous, Self-Raising World of Cupcakes and Bakes According to Cookie Girl
170 g/6 oz plain flour
1 & 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp salt
110 g/4 oz unsalted butter
225 g/8 oz granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp maple syrup
50 ml/2 fl oz milk
For the icing
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/Gas 4. Line a 12-hole non- stick muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a bowl. Melt the butter and let it cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs together, then add the melted butter. Mix the vanilla, maple syrup and milk in a separate bowl or jug.
4. Now stir the flour mixture into the sugar, eggs and butter, followed by the milk mixture. Beat until everything is well combined.
5. Divide the mixture between the paper cases so that each is about three-quarters full. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Check with a skewer – it should come out clean if the cakes are cooked. Remove the cakes from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.
6. Meanwhile, make the icing. Using an electric whisk, mix the butter and cream cheese. Add the icing sugar, a third at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add the cinnamon with the last of the icing sugar. Add a dot or two of food colouring if you like.
7. Using a piping bag with a straight- edged nozzle, pipe icing onto the cakes, working from the outside into a peak in the centre. Decorate with sprinkles – I like to use gingerbread men.◦