I'm using this fudge as my advent calendar candy but I've set some aside for some peanut butter fudge cupcakes later in the week, it is Christmas after all.
Peanut Butter Fudge - Hope and Greenwood - Life is Sweet
- Line a 20cm (8in) square baking tin, 4cm (11/2in) deep, with baking parchment.
- Place the sugar, evaporated milk, double cream and butter into a deep, heavy bottomed pan over a gentle heat. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved - this takes about 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium, place your sugar thermometer in the pan and bring the mixture to the boil - it will double in size, so put the cat in a safe place.
- Bring the mixture up to 100C (215 F), stirring occasionally, then lower the heat to a gentle boil. Boil for a further 10 minutes, but take care when the thermometer reaches 115 C (240F), as at this point the mixture burns easily. Remove from the heat. (I always take mine of the heat at 110C, you can drop a little of the mixture in cold water, if it forms a soft ball it's ready to beat).
- Using an electric hand whisk or food processor, or indeed a wooden spoon, beat the mixture for 10 minutes and then add the peanut butter. Beat for a further 15 minutes or until the mixture looses its shine, thickens up and starts to appear grainy. Pour into the prepared tin.